Wednesday, July 22, 2009

What-the-Eff Bear

The genesis of this post was actually a reaction to the trailer for the new GI Joe film, which is scheduled for release on August 7. Now, I must ask, did anyone else have any idea this was supposed to be GI Joe before the title revealed as much? I don't know about the rest of you, but this is my memory of GI Joe: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lhVYXRSEE1k. And what about "knowing is half the battle?" I am left feeling disillusioned and... old. I suppose it's a sign that many people of my generation now have young children of their own, considering how many of the old shows and toys have made a comeback, albeit in somewhat altered form.

There is another toy and associated cartoon from my childhood, which is still around for children these days, that sprang to mind. What in the world has happened to the Care Bears? There must have been some genetic experimenting going on in Care-a-Lot in the years since I was a kid to produce the characters that are running amok there now. Sure, I remember Friend Bear, Cheer Bear, Grumpy Bear, Funshine Bear, Good Luck Bear, etc... even a couple of those added during the later 80s or early 90s were fairly understandable. Share Bear, Harmony Bear... okay. However, have you seen some of the newer additions to the gang? Superstar Bear? Do-Your-Best Bear? Oopsy Bear?? I... can't continue.

We might as well all make up our own Care Bears. Any suggestions?

3 comments:

  1. I couldn't agree with you more on both topics! I was so excited when I saw they were making a GI Joe movie last year.... then I saw the preview. What sort of shit is this? Fucking idiot directors trying to put their stamp on a classic franchise. They can all die. This includes Michael Bay for ruining the Transformers.

    I sometimes watch the Carebears at the gym when the Price is Right is not on. Have you seen the evil bear in a giant robot suit? Last episode I saw, some of the carebears were spying on his fortress and he was skateboarding all over the place without a care. What sort of cartoon is that? And where is the damn Carebear stare? I want to know!

    And where is Metallica vs. Megadeath!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't seen Transformers, although my friend Rachel pointed out that at least they still look like themselves. She also mentioned that Strawberry Shortcake is pretty lame these days, and probably doesn't even smell like anything. That would certainly be a shame... that was the fun part!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh no, Strawberry Shortcake still smells the same. And I do agree with Rachel--they have completely changed the way she looks, including the addition of Strawberry herself in a cheerleader outfit. There's just something wrong with that. I will admit (proudly) that my checks are Strawberry Shortcake, however, they are the Strawberry that I remember from when I was little--and I fail to understand why whichever company is now making the dolls, that they had to change the way she and her friends looked.

    I'm still thinking of bears to add to Care-A-Lot. Apparently my morning coffee still hasn't kicked in.

    ReplyDelete