Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Look! I'm blogging!

So, I've given in and started a blog of my very own. I haven't had one in the past, mainly because a) I didn't know if I'd be keeping up with it on a regular basis and b) I didn't know as anyone would particularly want to read what I had to say. I've started one now because a) I've remembered how much I love to write and b) it doesn't really matter if anyone reads what I have to say if I'm enjoying writing it! I always manage to entertain myself, so if I can entertain anyone else who may be reading, that's definitely a bonus. I also need to give props to my friend John Swinconeck, who introduced me to the fun when he invited me to be a guest writer on his music blog, thefiver.net. (Go read it when you're done here; it's good stuff!!)

What I'll write about here will definitely change from post to post. As the title of the blog suggests, I am a great lover of all things "pop culture"... music, books, movies, television, sports... you name it, I probably enjoy it. This became apparent from a very early age. A story my parents love to tell is that of my first movie theater experience. At the age of three, I sat through the Great Muppet Caper in rapt attention, and when it was over, I promptly burst into tears. I also was treated to at least one trip to Great Woods (yes, it shall always be Great Woods, no matter what the sign says) each year starting around age 8, and astonished my family by picking up such books as Jaws and Watership Down long before I ever could have been expected to do so. I'm not an expert by any means on any of these media... I just like a lot of stuff!

I also may recount various little absurdities that happen to me from time to time, such as the incident recently when I accidentally set the contents of my recycle bin on fire. I'm not making that up; things like this happen to me all the time. I was actually lighting a candle when the match lit, broke in half, and sailed directly into the recycle bin. Thankfully I was able to get it out before it hit the newspaper...

Anyway, all that sort of fun and more to come. That's why I thought it would be fun to name the link thekateofalltrades.blogspot.com. Kind of like a Jack of all trades, but not really. As we learned in Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book, Jacks of All Trades are pretty scary. (If you haven't read The Graveyard Book, shame on you. Please line up to be hit in the head with a copy before you read.)

If you've gotten this far, intrepid reader, I congratulate you. Feel free to stop by anytime and see what I have to say... and share your own thoughts should you feel so inclined.

2 comments:

  1. Firsties! U!S!A! U!S!A!

    I will look forward to reading this!

    -john

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal favorite insult:
    "You're semi good looking"
    Van Halen 'Ain't Talking About Love'

    You go, girl.
    --Deanna

    ReplyDelete