Sunday, July 12, 2009

Tales from One Longfellow Square, Part 1

My first show volunteering at One Longfellow Square here in Portland on June 25 was part of a very surreal 24 hours. Before launching into my tale, I'd like to give a shout-out ("Hey!") to Tim and Lucy for indirectly and directly (respectively) getting me involved with this lovely little venue.
Anyway, my day began long before it ever should have around 3am, when I was awakened by the dulcet tones of someone singing Me and Julio, accompanied by guitar, somewhere in the vicinity of the driveway of my building. I'm pretty sure that I wasn't hallucinating or dreaming this, although it was kind of that muzzy half-asleep reaction: "What the f... is someone...out there... singing... what?" Thankfully, this was the performer's final song and I was able to get a few more hours' worth of sleep.

The second bit of...surreality, if you will, occurred when I had arrived at One Longfellow and Lucy returned not only with her miso soup from King of the Roll, but also the news that Michael Jackson was dead. Being raised in the music video era, as many of us were, I was stunned. Whatever one thought of the man, and whatever he may have become, his influence on the music world cannot be quantified. Still reeling from this news, I settled in to enjoy some of the show. I was impressed by Aly Spaltro's (aka Lady Lamb the Beekeeper's) ability to multitask given the change in her act from duo to one-woman show. I was also touched by her cover of "These Days", originally by Jackson Browne and featured, in a version by Nico, in the Royal Tenenbaums. And then... came Feel it Robot. This band from Bangor brought along a group of followers who were more than ready to join them in dancing the remainder of the night away. Energy was certainly not lacking, and honestly it was difficult to keep a smile from my face as I watched. I was occasionally startled by the keyboard player as he left his post to go tearing around the room. However, I still wasn't entirely prepared when the entire band, and a good portion of the audience, dropped their pants in the middle of a number. Granted, the refrain to the song featured the lyrics "take off your pants", but it's still not a command you might expect to be taken literally. As this turn of events was something that needed to be shared, I slipped out to the bar and said, "Uh, Lucy, the entire band just dropped trou out there." And Feel it Robot actually stayed pantless for the remainder of the show.

But my evening wasn't quite over yet. As I took my leave and began the short walk home, I heard a suspicious rustling in the bushes to my left, and upon turning my head, saw a man facing the bushes, evidently having been in dire need of relieving himself. Not only that, but he felt the need also to apologize to me as I walked by: "Sorry, kiddo... sorry." I'm just grateful he didn't turn around.

There ended my adventures for the day. I return to One Longfellow Square tomorrow as a patron, for the Maia Sharp/Pete Kilpatrick show, to which I am very much looking forward, although there may not be nearly so much excitement to the evening! I will report on the show later in the week.

I also have to mention a new song obsession... Sweetie Pie by Ivana XL. I heard this song on Friday while watching the final installment of the web series at HarpersGlobe.com. I found it beautiful and haunting, and it drew me right in. (Note: Yes, I became addicted to Harper's Island, and its supplemental web series, right from the beginning... the finale was just last night, so a post will undoubtedly be forthcoming on this topic!)

I bid you farewell as we begin a new week...

1 comment:

  1. Jim just asked a good question--exactly how much trou was dropped?

    ReplyDelete