Friday, July 10, 2009

Guinea pigs and "greedy little bastards"

I felt the need to expound on a Facebook status I posted a couple days ago, when I was stupefied by a movie trailer featuring animated guinea pigs outfitted in spy gear. Not only that, but this is a 3D Jerry Bruckheimer production. It was one of those moments when, had I been on the phone, I would have stopped mid-sentence and then forgotten completely what I had been talking about. (Side note: This actually happened not too long ago, coincidentally because of a different type of animated rodent in a commercial. I lost power of conversation when a couple animated hamsters drove a Kia down the street while rocking out to the stereo's beat. Hey, that rhymes. Anyway, perhaps I should no longer be surprised by animated rodents, since this appears to be a trend.) Back to the guinea pigs. After the initial shock, something possessed me to find the website for this film, which is entitled G-Force. At this point I was assaulted with images of said guinea pigs flying at the computer screen, accompanied by a rather obnoxiously loud pop song ("Jump" by Flo Rida featuring Nelly Furtado... I also had to look this up since I had no idea). It was all a little too much and I've still not completely recovered.
Now, I can see where this might have appeal to a certain audience. My friend Alyssa commented that it was sort of genius considering that her 2 1/2 year old nephew has been begging her to take him to the guinea pig movie every day for a week. Also, the capabilities of modern computer animation are to be admired. As my stepmom Deanna commented, there is an odd realness about it. But not too much realness... I had a guinea pig named Cleo growing up, and she never participated in such antics. Or maybe she was just such a good spy that I never knew...

On another topic altogether (because that's quite enough about animated anthropomorphized rodents), I love when I can be endlessly amused by song lyrics. On the drive to work today, I happened to be listening to "Had Enough" by Breaking Benjamin. What chiefly makes this tune fun is the fact that it is just pure, straightforward vitriol, and contains one of the most entertaining insults that I have ever heard expressed in song. The refrain begins thusly:
"You had to have it all, well have you had enough, you greedy little bastard, you will get what you deserve". I think that's just great. And I suppose also that we've all known some greedy little bastards we'd like to serenade. Does anyone else out there have a favorite song insult?

Until next time...

4 comments:

  1. I was once serenaded with "Friends in Low Places". I still can't figure out if the serenader was trying to be funny or insult me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. My personal favorite insult:
    "You're semi good looking"
    Van Halen 'Ain't Talking About Love'

    You go, girl.
    --Deanna
    Idiot woman! I posted it on the wrong blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oooh! Top 5 insults in music! Good list idea … I was always partial "So you can make me ***, it doesn't make you Jesus," by Tori Amos. As a male, I find that rather cutting.

    I also had a guinea pig named Cleo who good predict the future. Actually, she wasn't a guinea pig. Now that I think of it, she couldn't predict the future, either.

    –John

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'm glad you posted about your blog on facebook - I like it! Also, despite thinking the film is a genius idea, I should point out that it creeps me out(for me, those guinea pigs fall into the uncanny valley) and I am trying to avoid taking my nephew to see the damn thing.

    ReplyDelete